Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ozarks 30.3.03: Bee Balm and Chimney Rocks

My 53rd birthday. When we got up at 6:30, it was 28◦ outside. Did it freeze in Little Rock? I hope not, or our new spring seedlings will suffer. . . .

Flowers blooming on my birthday this year at the cabin: bird’s-foot violet (V. pedata), rue anemone (Thalictrum thalictroides), and toothwort (Dentaria laciniata). Fiddleheads also coming up, tiny sprigs of bergamot, and some kind of flag all along the creek. I can’t wait to see what these look like.

I transplanted one bird’s-foot violet to the head of the outside steps. May it live and thrive. We found it in a patch near the chimney rocks when we climbed there yesterday. Amazing, eerie formations that seem to go on and on back from the road. Otherwise, bird’s-foot violet not nearly so common as in Pulaski Co. around Pinnacle Mtn. or in Grant Co. on the road to Orion.

There’s some lacy small fernlike plant coming up all over, which I’ve not seen before. The lichens and moss not nearly so spectacular as several weeks ago.

No comments: